Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Devotional Life

How would you describe your devotional life? Students ask me this question all the time. It seems like we're in search of the right way to spend time pursuing the Lord. I know my own personality tends to be pretty systematic. I like to know what steps I should do or how I should go about something or how someone else goes about something...though I rarely read the instructions/directions to anything.

One thing I've learned from asking this question is that it seems to be a little different for everyone. A lot of what your devotional life looks like will depend on your personality. Some people are morning people while others are night owls. Some people enjoy being alone outdoors while others enjoy sitting alone in the library or prayer closet, etc. Some people need to have a routine to ensure they are actively pursuing the Lord. In other words, you've got to do what works best for you. Your devotional life might not look exactly like others.

I do think you need two constants in your devotional life: prayer and the Scriptures. We need to commune with the Lord through prayer and we need to hide God's Word in our heart. Whether we spend this time during the day/night or inside/outside we need to be pursuing the Lord through prayer and Scripture. Additionally, I advocate for reading books that stir your affection for Christ and His Word.

I'd also note that our devotional life isn't just an hour with the Lord in the morning or the evening. It's something we need to walk in throughout the day - walking with Him by the Spirit, as we go.

Just for fun...here are two videos I think you may find interesting:



No comments: