Monday, May 17, 2010

Greater Vision

I've worn glasses nearly all of my life. Over the years I've tried to switch from glasses to contacts multiple times, but just can't handle poking myself in the eye every morning...not the best way to start my day. With that said, every year I usually end up at my doctor's office for a check-up to see if I need a new prescription to maintain clear vision. I wonder if we need to do the same with our personal life from time-to-time? If we don't check-up once in a while we'll find that we're pretty far off course.

Right now I'm slowly reading through David Platt's new book, Radical. I can't help but consider what it means to live in light of the call God has placed on all of those who call Him Lord. Have we really considered the vastness of the call that God has given all of us? Think about this...we were created by God, saved from our sins, and blessed by God to make His glory known in all the world. Simply put, we're called to reach the nations...both the United States and the world. It isn't either/or...it's all nations.

I'm not going to say that all of us should pick up and move, but we shouldn't pass on the call to reach the nations though we might not be called to move to them! So what does this mean? Simply put, we should embrace the call to reach the nations! This has to change the way we live doesn't it? If we live with a mission to reach the nations we'll live with a greater purpose. Living with this purpose will change the way we spend our money and the way we make all kinds of decisions. I think there are a few simple questions we can ask to help us take a step in the right direction...First, we should ask God to break our heart for the things that break His. Second, we should make plans to go to the nations when we get a chance to take a trip. Third, we should send money in partnership with organizations who are reaching the nations with the Gospel. The bottom line question of all questions to consider..."How can I leverage all that I've been given to accomplish the most I can for the call God has given us all for the nations?"

Platt writes, "God has an ulterior motive in blessing us...we are not the end of His grace." So, let's not stand on the edge of the mighty call of God with the vision of bat.

2 comments:

Plowing and Sowing said...

Great post Chris.

Jules said...

Love that book...it is really challenging.